“Everything is interconnected.” (LS 240)
Through a better understanding of the inseparable relationship between us and the environment, we can better appreciate how our human actions affect our natural world.
For the month of May, in conjunction with Laudato Si’ Week 2023, we are focusing on the intimate connection between us and all living things, centered on the Laudato Si’ Goal of Ecological Education.
Hosting a screening of The Letter, the viral documentary featuring Pope Francis, is one action you can take today leading up to Laudato Si’ Week in support of Ecological Education.
What is Ecological Education
Ecological Education is the process of fostering ecological awareness and transformative action in our homes, schools, and community programs to:
✔️ More firmly grasp and acknowledge the interdependence of all living systems
✔️ Develop a deeper sense of responsibility for the environment and the impact of our actions
✔️ Incorporate into our daily lives concrete steps to both protect the planet and live sustainably within it
Throughout Laudato Si’ Week 2023, May 21 to 28, there will be a variety of events and activities taking place around the world to promote Ecological Education and all the Laudato Si’ Goals.
The great news is, you can take action right now!
Members of the Laudato Si´Action Platform are Taking Action
The Need for Ecological Education has Never Been More Pressing
The world is facing numerous environmental challenges, including climate change, deforestation, biodiversity loss, and pollution.
The current climate crisis is affecting the quality of life for millions of people and threatening the survival of many plant and animal species.
Ecological Education can help people understand these urgent challenges and the impact of their decisions on the environment. Armed with knowledge and a plan of action, we can then make more sustainable choices that bring about real changes in lifestyle.
These changes in lifestyle can include “avoiding the use of plastic and paper, reducing water consumption, separating refuse, cooking only what can reasonably be consumed, showing care for other living beings, using public transport or car-pooling, planting trees, turning off unnecessary lights, or any number of other practices.” (LS 211)
- Ecological Education is a Laudato Si’ Goal focused on fostering ecological awareness and transformative action in our homes, schools, and community programs to help us:
- Better understand how our human actions can heal or harm our natural world.
- Develop a deep sense of responsibility, empathy, and concern for all living systems.
- Embrace more sustainable behaviors in our day to day lives, such as recycling, reducing waste, and conserving energy.
- Appreciate the value of biodiversity and the importance of preserving natural habitats.
- Laudato Si’ Week 2023, May 21 to 28, will be filled with events and activities taking place around the world to promote Ecological Education.
- Hosting a screening of The Letter is a concrete action you can take today leading up to Laudato Si’ Week to:
- Spark important conversations around forming plans of action within your circles of influence.
- Be an active advocate for reducing our environmental impact to create a better world for future generations.